Saturday, November 14, 2009

Beet Kimchi Followup


Ten days ago, I made "beet kimchi." After adding the juice from an older batch and leaving the jars out at room temperature for a day or two, I stuck them in the fridge. Every few days I checked a jar only to find that it smelled, well, gassy. But today it didn't-- I don't know if this means it's "done," but a) it tastes really fermented, b) it didn't make me sick, and c) it tastes pretty good, so I'm going to say case closed.

Today, it's a deep purple color, though, thanks to gravity, you get this freaky rainbow effect that needs some shaking:


It actually feels fizzy in your mouth. It tastes primarily of ginger and spicy pepper. Upon eating it, my stomach felt momentarily a little funny: not sick, but it was as if the creatures already in my stomach said to those incoming, "Oh hello! I guess we will have to work together."

No comments: