Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Espresso Chip Oatmeal Cookies AND Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Finally, some good stuff.  After the failed flapjacks (again--this time blame my trying to bake using weight instead of volume), the vinegary yassa chickpeas, and some frightening fried lentil things purporting to be papadums (see right), it's comforting to know that at least cookies are still pretty okay.

After months of dithering, I ordered Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  It was an impulse buy.  I was like, It's too hot to turn on the oven and you've gained weight from all those trips to Scoops.  Also, you already have a lot of cookie recipes in your life (for example, see the index at the lower right side of this page).  So why would this book be a good idea?

Oh but it was.  Can you even think of 100 cookie recipes?  (although... I have to say, the cookie dough "recipe" at the end is a total cop-out)  This was only the first one I've tried, but I read through the whole thing, and I like that many of the recipes use oil instead of Earth Balance (I am always running out of Earth Balance!) and don't call for commercial egg replacer (works like a charm, but do you know what half the ingredients are?).  The authors' voice is very funny and amiable, but even more importantly, they foresee many of the questions and problems you might have, and work their preemptive responses into the conversational tone of the book.  I don't know if this prescience is the result of having lots of testers, being psychic, or both, but whatever... I am going to be making a LOT of new cookies.

I'm not going to post the recipe below because I followed it pretty closely, only upping the cinnamon and using ground coffee instead of coffee extract--this latter move left me with some granules to chew on, but I kind of liked that, too.

Espresso Chip Oatmeal Cookies
(from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar)

*

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies were also a success, although increasing the salt (and I used salted peanut butter, too!) would have made them still more flavorful.  The texture, though, was perfect: soft but firm, only slightly cakey, with crunchy peanuts on top.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
(from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar)

No comments: