Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Turnip (?) Greens

Recently, I made these very tasty greens from a recipe I found on One Hot Stove, although it originally came from World Vegetarian.  The coconut--something I've been meaning to try in brussels sprouts for a year or so--was a great addition here, adding a nutty and slightly sweet flavor, and more texture.  I added cumin.

I decided to make this recipe before I looked in my fridge and realized I'd bought turnip greens (I think) and not mustard greens.  No matter--this would work for any leafy green.

Sri Lankan Mustard [or Turnip] Greens

Ingredients
1 bunch greens, de-stemmed and shredded/chopped into thin strips
oil
1 medium onion, chopped
cumin seeds
1/2 tsp? red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp? ground cumin
1/2 tsp? ground turmeric
salt to taste
2 TB unsweetened dried coconut flakes

Instructions
1. In a large skillet, heat a couple of teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Add onion, cumin seeds, and red pepper flakes.  Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the edges of the onion start to brown.
2. Add the shredded greens, turmeric, ground cumin, and salt to taste. Stir around and mix well until the greens start to wilt.
3. Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the greens are cooked and tender.  At the end of cooking, stir 2 tbsp of grated fresh or dried unsweetened coconut into the greens.

No comments: