Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gingery Apple-Pear-Plum Sauce

This is a pretty badass applesauce.  NO peeling and NO sugar are necessary (seriously! why would you do that?), though I did puree it.  It tastes zingier than regular applesauce because of the fresh ginger, but I think the long, slow cooking method also browned it more than a stovetop method (which I usually use), as if the sauce were well on its way to being apple/pear butter rather than sauce.

So yes, I did use a slow cooker, but you can do this on the stove, too, it just takes a lot of watching and stirring.  I'm not sure, though, that a slow cooker is really more convenient (until I get good at it) because I was so worried about it burning while I left the house or slept that I put too much water in, and then had to a) cook it uncovered at the end to evaporate some of it and b) just scoop out the delicious juice-liquid at the end.

Once again, this is not a measurement-tastic recipe.  Use whatever you have.  For me, that meant 5 pears, 2-3 apples, and a plum.  I think as long as it's mostly apples and pears, you can't really go wrong.  And leave the skins on!  It will be more flavorful and more pectiny.

Gingery Apple-Pear-Plum Sauce

Ingredients
apples, cored and coarsely chopped
pears, cored and coarsely chopped
plums/whatever, removed from pit and coarsely chopped (optional)
fresh ginger, peeled and minced
cinnamon, ground
cloves, ground
allspice, ground
juice of 1 lemon
water

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low, covered, for about 8 hours.  Puree if desired.


No comments: