Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tempeh Mushroom Stroganoff

This isn't exactly a new recipe.  All I did was add fried tempeh to mushroom gravy while it was cooking.  But this was enough to turn a sauce into an entree, albeit a, um, saucy one.  I was thinking of stroganoff when I did it, but seeing as meat and sour cream appear to be the defining features of a stroganoff, I'm not sure this counts.  It's really delicious, though, and easy: you just get your three pots going (at right: sauce, tempeh, and pasta), and each one takes about 10 minutes.

Ok, so I know a lot of meat-eating people read my blog (which delights me!), and I'm guessing that many of you are going to immediately dismiss the thought of making this recipe because it calls for some weird vegan food.  But tempeh isn't like the chunks of fake chicken that you buy in the fridge case at Trader Joe's.  It's a minimally processed food that has been a staple in Indonesian cuisine for centuries.  The texture is sort of a cross between chicken and peas, and the taste is slightly like mushrooms.  It used to be really hard to find, but Whole Foods and Trader Joe's both carry it these days. 

I do wish it looked a little prettier.


Edit, 12/14/11: I've since made a similar stroganoff that I like even better!


Tempeh Mushroom Stroganoff
(adapted from recipe for Mushroom Gravy)
 
Ingredients
3/4 c (or more) white mushrooms, chopped
1 small yellow onion, minced
1/4 c Earth Balance
2 1/2 c vegetable broth
1 TB soy sauce
1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
canola oil
1 block of tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces

Instructions
1. In a large skillet, melt the Earth Balance and add onion and mushrooms. Saute for just a minute or two over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add vegetable broth and soy sauce. Slowly add flour, stirring well to combine and prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a simmer or a low boil, then reduce heat.
3. Add seasonings, salt and pepper, stirring consistently. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until gravy thickens. 
4. Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a skillet.  Fry tempeh over medium high heat, turning occasionally, until it's browned.  Add to saucepan, simmer a few more minutes, then serve warm over noodles.  Serves about 4.

2 comments:

Semirade said...

I'm going to give this a shot (probably with a few personal touches especially to add a fiery taste with either some turmeric and garam masala and cayenne, or just the route you're taking and adding hot sauce and maybe some fennel). I have Amy's mushroom soup andspinach noodles and broccoli rabe - I'm good to go - thanks for your inspiration - let you know how it turns out!

Semirade said...

You've inspired me, I put down some ingredients and you took care of them. Now I'll do my "take" on your recipe. I'll probably go the Turmeric/Masala Garam with Cayenne (love the fire!), I've got the "cop out" Amy's mushroom soup and the broccoli rabe I'm on a roll- Thanks